First steps and thoughts about the GAIQ exam
Here you will learn how to prepare for the 2018 Google Analytics exam and pass the test on your first attempt.
If you’ve decided that you want to take the Google Analytics Individual Qualification (GAIQ) exam you should set for yourself a timeplan for learning and preparation and an actual date and time to take the test.
How long you need for preparation depends of course on the knowledge and the experience with Google Analytics that you already have. But be warned: even if you think you can handle the tool quite well, this is not a guarantee that you will pass the exam easily. There are a lot of more theoretical questions in the test that you can only answer correctly if you have studied the learning material.
So we would recommend at least two days for going through the Google Academy lessons (about 4 to 5 hours each day) and the third day for checking out the questions and answers from the actual exam that we have prepared for you (takes about 2-3 hours), than take a short brake and start the exam afterwards (reserve 2 hours for that). This is of course just a recommendation, it depends on how fast you learn and, as mentioned above, on your previous knowledge. If you are new to Google Analytics, going through all the courses in three days might be too much.
Learning for the GAIQ exam
The best approach is to take the lessons in the Google Analytics Academy in the order that we suggest. That means you start with Google Analytics for Beginners on the first day. We definitely recommend to take this course even if you are already familiar with Google Analytics. The second day then covers Advanced Google Analytics. There are also two other courses in the Academy that you can take: Ecommerce Analytics and Google Tag Manager Fundamentals. These two are not a prerequisite for the GAIQ but will help you to improve your knowledge of Google Analytics further. At the end of each course chapter there is a short test (assessment) about the things you’ve just learned. Take this tests and repeat them until you have all the answers correct. The great thing about this is that Google tells you which of the answers were correct and which were not. You won’t get this information in the actual exam! You will also receive a ‘Certificate Of Completion’ after successfully completing all the assessments in a course. These certificates are more or less just a gimmick and should not be confused with the actual GAIQ!
On the third day it’s time to prove your Analytics knowledge. Go to the GAIQ Questions & Answers section of this website (and maybe also the Google Tag Manager Q&A if you gave the time) and try to answer the questions there by yourself. This section covers most of the questions you will see at the test so it’s the perfect preparation. We hope that it is clear for everybody that it makes absolutely no sense to skip the lessons in the Analytics Academy completely and just rely on learning the right answers to the questions!
Preparations and setup for the GAIQ exam
Register for the exam
In order to take the GAIQ exam you have to register on the website google.com/partners. Click on ‘Join Google Partners’ and then on ‘JOIN NOW’. Use your existing Google account information or setup a new account to register. Important: You don’t have to qualify as a Google Partner Company and earn the Partner Badge to get your Individual Qualification!
If you feel ready to take the exam there are a few things we recommend before you start:
- Make sure that you have about 2h of time with absolutely no interruptions (it’s a good idea to turn off your phone).
- If it’s possible for you than use a second screen/computer. Use the first one for the test and on the second one have one browser tab open with your Google Analytics account and a second tab with this website.
- You have 90 minutes to answer 70 questions. Once you started the test you can’t pause it!
- All the questions are Multiple choice. And there is only one answer right! That means it is only possible to click on one of the answers. This is different to older versions of the GAIQ, where often more than one answer was right. It also makes the test a lot easier. Sometimes the correct answer is that all of the given alternatives are correct or that all of them are wrong.
- Be aware that you only have one chance to answer a question. It’ not possible to skip a question and answer it later or review your questions and make changes at the end. Of course you can click on one of the answers and change that before you click on “Confim Answer”.
- Read every question and all of the possible answers very carefully before you answer and go to the next question.
- There is enough time. If you’ve done your homework you should have no problems to complete the test way before the time is over, so DON’T RUSH!
- Your goal should be to complete each question within 1 minute. That gives you a time buffer for more difficult questions.
- Don’t be alarmed if you take much longer for some of the more difficult questions. There will also be a lot of really easy questions that you’ll be able to answer within seconds.
- If you’re really stuck with one question either try to get the information you need directly in your Google Analytics account or use the search funktion on this site to look up the question (again: this should be your last option).
After you’ve answered the last question (or the 90 minutes are over) you will immediately see the result of your test.
You’ll need at least 80% correct answers to pass the exam. If you have less, you’ll get the chance to retake the test in 7 days.
If you still have questions concerning the GAIQ exam please refer to our FAQ.
Good luck! 🙂